baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 07:52:16 +1300

Sindi Keesan wrote:

> ldd zgv - libvgagl libvga libjpeg libpng libtiff

BL3 has none of those libraries.

> What parts of BL3 still need work?

The foundation is working well. All the X stuff is done.
The last big job remaining is mail. And then some general
tidying/slimming. Followed by a week of testing.

> Will there be a make-fd.bat?

Not in BL 3.00. I'm not worrying about extras at the
moment. Once the base distribution is out, I'll be
looking at options and add-ons.

BTW, BL3 will not be a particularly good foundation for
add-ons. In order to fit everything into a small space,
I have viciously cut unnecessary libraries, fonts and
resource files. Most add-ons (especially for X) will
require extra bits & pieces to run.

BL2 is different. It was designed from the bottom up to
provide a relatively easy upgrade path to Slackware 7.1.
BL3 does not do that (although it has the potential to
run packages from Slackware 3 or 4). For every add-on
to BL3, we will have to ascertain (and document) what
extra bit & pieces are needed to run it.