baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 23:30:44 -0500 (EST)

> Two important advantages:
> (1) It is half the size of zgv.
> (2) zgv requires SVGAlib (which BL3 does not have).

zgv - 213K
ldd zgv - libvgagl libvga libjpeg libpng libtiff libx libm libc ld-linux

seejpeg - 99K
ldd seejpeg - libvga libm libc

Unfortunately seejpeg wont work on most of the newer video cards that I
have, implying that libvga is not very up to date.

> Yes. I've configured links to add as an image browser
> (as well as an HTML browser and local file browser).

Clever.

> The modules in BL1 are 2.0.34. BL2 uses a 2.2.16 kernel,
> so the modules need to be 2.2.16. That includes the
> slhc and ppp modules.
>
> When you insmod, it looks in the directory matching the kernel.
> In BL1 the module directory is: /lib/modules/2.0.34/misc
> In BL2 the module directory is: /lib/modules/2.2.16/misc

Thanks, I would have wasted a lot of time experimenting.
Once I figure out why lynx won't work with straight BL1,
I will try to get some mail program working with lynx, with Doug's help.
He used me as a guinea pig for two DOS mail programs.

What parts of BL3 still need work? Will there be a make-fd.bat?
If you have changed the last one we can try it out.

Unrelated, but I just got WORD 5.5 copied to one floppy disk, with generic
printer driver, and it prints text fine and is overkill for the intended
purpose. We are setting up a friend with Opera (for Win98 ;=( ) and
something with a spell checker that prints. I have a version of PICO for
DOS but the spellchecker is confusing. This is the friend who has trouble
distinguishing Network from Netscape.

Sindi Keesan