baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 18:56:23 -0500 (EST)

> > Wallpapers???? What is wrong with a plain background?
>
> You will have a choice.

I hope the wallpaper does not waste a lot of bytes.

> > Which image viewer?
>
> xli. It does GIF, JPEG, PCX, BMP, macPAINT, G3FAX, PhotoCD
> and some others.

Does it have some advantage over zgv, such as size or speed?
Are you planning on using the graphical links in BL3, and if not,
will there be enough RAM to run links 0.93 and xli together?

> > A new mail program that will let you send mail from within
> > a browser?
>
> I'm planning on using the POP/SMTP client (pmail) from BL2,
> but I will probably ditch the mailreader (mailz). I was
> hoping to find a nice/small GUI mailreader, but so far no
> luck.

I found the BL1 mail program easier to figure out.
Some mail program that works for mailto: would be much appreciated.
Can you recommend any, even large ones, to use with lynx and BL2?

> > Does the lynx I compiled happen to work with BL3?
>
> I don't know. You could try booting BL1 with the BL2 kernel
> and you would get a pretty good idea.

I tried this and I think the modules used for pppsetup in BL1 are not
compatible with the BL2 kernel. I do pppsetup and then ppp-on and if I am
using BL1 with BL1 kernel it dials but with the BL2 kernel:

'Sorry this system lacks PPP kernel support.'

Have you been online with BL3 and not had this problem and if so what can
I do to fix it? Do I also need to copy over any SW71 module(s) and load
them before dialing? insmod slhc insmod ppp - anything else? (I would
rename them to keep them separate from those for BL1).