baslinux - [BL] 2.6.x tiny kernel

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] 2.6.x tiny kernel
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 06:24:02 -0600 (CST)

I think I sent a message to the list some time back about a special "tiny"
version of the 2.6.x kernel. Steven mentioned it onlist again recently, I
believe. I ran across the project again today - actually a series of
patches designed to minimize the kernel's footprint, aimed at embedded
devices. I see they're continuing their work, having a set of patches for
a pretty recent release (2.6.2). Anyway, here's a link for the download
site for the patches, in case it's of interest:
http://www.selenic.com/tiny . Steven: one of the things I might be able
to squeeze into my schedule on behalf of BL3 development (apart from
testing it on that 386 we've been discussing) is compiling a 2.6 tiny
kernel. I have a fair amount of excess disk space and a somewhat modern
machine (1Ghz Celeron) on which I could do it. I'd probably need some
guidance and might not be very good at meeting deadlines, though. Let me
know if that would be any help.

James