baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 08:24:45 +1300

Sindi Keesan wrote:

> I booted BL1 with the BL2 kernel.
> I copied the two modules for the BL2 (Sw71) kernel
> to the proper location and did insmod for both,
> then eznet up 0.
>
> This time it made the usual dialing noises, waited a
> few seconds, and told me: Service #0 - pppd failure.

Authentication failure perhaps?
Did you do all the configuration in pppsetup?

> I booted BL1 with BL1 kernel and was able to dial and connect.

Identical pppsetup? Or are you using a ramdisk that needs
to be reconfigured every time you boot?

> I tried the hybrid again twice, would not connect.
> I am connected again using BL1 with BL1 kernel.
> It always works. Now what? Is there maybe a timing
> problem?

It is possible that the problem lies with pppd. When I
compiled eznet for BL1 (older/smaller pppd), I had to set
a special flag for that version of pppd (otherwise eznet
does not work with that pppd). Apparently there are
significant differences between the two pppds. Perhaps
the 2.2 kernel does not work with the old pppd?

I have done no ppp testing in BL3 yet, so I may be running
into this problem soom myself (if it exists).

> These seem to be two rather different versions of ppp.o,
> larger for SW71 than SW35.

Sadly, almost everything in Slack71 is bigger than Slack35.
And on it goes, with every Slackware fatter than the last.
That's why BL3 is going back to an older/smaller Slackware
(and eventually to an even smaller uClibc).