baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: Please tell me about BL3

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: Ian Scott <mriscott AT yahoo.co.uk>
  • Cc: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: Please tell me about BL3
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 09:01:59 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Ian Scott wrote:

> > I think it s is stuck in wordstar mode - the default as compiled.
> >
> > Only plain e3 from my package works in BL1. I had to add 'tail' from the
> > appropriate version of SW to make e3pi (pico version) work.
> >
> > I compiled the complete version for Bl2 but only included e3 and e3pi in
> > my little package.
>
> I think e3pi, e3vi, etc are just symlinks to e3. so it should take up
> almost no space to have them all.

They seem very small but I don't know what other files are needed to make
them work so I left them out.

> Having said that, making said symlinks in BL1 didn't seem to work.
> >
> > I had to replace 'tail' from SW71 with 'tail' from SW32 (txtutils) to get
> > it to work with BL1.
> >

> Was this to get it to compile or to get it to run?
> Seems strange that it needs tail at runtime - I wonder what for ...

Tail was not needed to compile but it refused to run without tail, and it
had to be the correct version of tail in the correct location. I have no
idea what tail does - you can read the man page for it in txtutils and
report back.

> > I did not include the other modes in my little package but if you want I
> > can send them to you. I don't know what they will need to work. Plain e3
> > (wordstar) did not need tail or any other additions.
> >
> Aha - I used a binary version a long time ago and you could switch between
> all
> the different modes (using Ctrl-K M if I remember) - but that must be a
> compile time choice.

I will see if this works in my version - or try it yourself with e3 and
e3pi. I will also check out the vi and emacs versions to see if they need
additional files and if so try to make a complete package including the
neded files for BL2. (And maybe some day for BL1 if anyone requests
that). I am currently on my trusty DOS computer so can't check now.
I included only the wordstar and pico versions to keep it smaller so I
could attach it to my email (40K total limit).