baslinux - [BL] Re: Please tell me about BL3

  • From: sheywood AT shentel.net
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Re: Please tell me about BL3
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 15:37:40 -0500

Last time you wrote:
> A suggestion for a smaller editor for BL3.
>
> I just somehow managed to compile E3, written in assembler language, for
> linux. (It can also be compiled for the various BSDs, DOS and Win9x etc.)
> 9,346 bytes. I am not sure whether the program compressed it for me as it
> said you could compile it to under 4K. Pico (nano) on BL2 is 48K.
>
> E3 includes a built-in calculator. It also lets you use Wordstar or Pico
> or Vim or Emacs commands and compile for any of them as default if you
> edit an .h file first. It has a few things that I find annoyingly missing
> in Pico - go forward or backward one word, go to start or end of page.

Pico is a very nice editor. I would suppose that most of the newbies
are very comfortable with using Pico because most of them are probably
already familiar with it and have some experience using it while running
Pine. Many of those who start using BasicLinux already have some
experience with running programs on a remote Unixish shell where they use
the Pico editor. When they start leaning something which is somewhat
very new to them such as BasicLinux it is nice for them to find themselves
in an environment where they can use a very nice text editor which is
already very familiar to them. There are many text editors which have
more and better features than Pico, but Pico is one of the easiest text
editors to learn how to use.

Sam Heywood
-- Message handled by BasicLinux, v. 2.1
-- See "http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/baslinux/";