baslinux - Re: [BL] linmodems and windows woes

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] linmodems and windows woes
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 16:00:47 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004, Sindi Keesan wrote:

> linmodem. When I put it in the COmpaq I got the same error messages as
> above. I am almost afraid to try it again in the Gateway. THe Gateway
> also puts all its modems onto Com1 (except it put the Rockwell on Com3 and
> somehow I got it to change to Com2). We tried disabling and enabling and
> 'auto' both Com Ports. We plugged a mouse into Com1 and it put the modem
> on Com3.

I got the winmodem to work by plowing through Troubleshooter and running a
registry deletiong program supplied by USR (on the Win98SE CD, drivers,
3com-usr). It deleted the drivers I had used for PCTel (PCI) and COnexant
(PCI) and then I was able to install the correct Conexant ISA driver.
Windows said it was to be used to remove USR drivers but it appears to be
general purpose.

The linmodems are still useless. The PCTel (a linmodem) would not work
even when it was the first modem I tried to install, with a pci driver.