baslinux - Re: [BL] hard drive resets during 'find'

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] hard drive resets during 'find'
  • Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 11:11:21 -0500 (EST)

> If there is only one HD (presumably master) on the controller
> (presumably primary IDE), the drive will always be /dev/hda
> and the partitions on that drive will always be /dev/hda?
>
> > Unfortunately we cannot do that in this case as it would give
> > us five primary partitions,
>
> The four primary partition limit applies to a single drive.
> Every drive in the system can have its own set of four primary
> partitions and they can all be mounted simultaneously.

I never knew this and was planning to always have no more than 3 primary
partitions per computer so that I could add a drive to copy things from.
Thanks to you and James for the explanations. I might try to get the
third linux computer set up today using tar and an extra drive.
If I understand correctly, I can tar all the linux files to the DOS
partition on the first drive and then untar them to the second drive (to
check whether we still have the reset problem) or else simply tar them to
the second drive and use that to transfer files to another computer
instead of attempting to use Kermit or a network or PLIP.

One of the nice things about keeping linux small is it runs faster -
faster searches, faster copies.

In DOS we always defrag before copying to a drive with something already
on it. How would we do that with linux? Does copying automatically
accomplish the defrag like it does in DOS? Even if so, can we also defrag
our first drive once in a while after uninstalling or deleting files?
Or does linux not slow down when fragmenting like DOS does?