baslinux - Re: [BL] hard drive resets during 'find'

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] hard drive resets during 'find'
  • Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 11:40:25 -0500 (EST)

To test whether our problem with hard drive resets, which occurs only in
linux on our Win98/DOS/BL2 computer, is really a hard drive problem, could
we put in a secnod (50MB) hard drive, format it as the fourth primary
partition, ext2, and then simply copy ALL the files from the existing
linux partition to that one and boot to that one (modify the batch file
for loadlin)? Or do we need to reinstall everything from scratch?

Also can we then transfer such a hard drive to another computer with an
existing drive that has DOS on it, as a quick way to set up linux for
several computers? (We would redo X, depending on the video card). And
then maybe copy all files from that hard drive to the drive in the second
computer that already has DOS and linux partitions.

You can't do this with Windows but you can with DOS.

The 8G drive that is giving us problems came with Redhat 9 on it, which
loaded VERY slowly, but then ran okay without any noticeable resets at the
time. The owners must have used it long enough for the video card and
CD-RW to have gone bad, so it probably worked properly for at least a
while with linux. 1999 computer.