baslinux - Re: [BL] Compiling C++ with BL2

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Compiling C++ with BL2
  • Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2003 22:45:46 -0500 (EST)

My partner Jim says he agrees with you but he wants to learn C to
understand the older programs and the system administration stuff which
was written in C. It will help him better understand the Linux operating
system. DOS assembly language helped him understand DOS. He also wants to
rewrite, for linux, a text editor that he wrote in assembly language for
DOS. It would be easier to rewrite it in a linux assembly language but he
would not learn as much.

The only course offered was C++, not C. The other reason for taking this
course is that it will give him some exercise biking there and back (7
miles each way) in the snow.

Do you know Linux assembly language? Is there a good reference online
somewhere that shows the interrupts and calls, how they differ between DOS
and Linux? Does it vary between shells?