baslinux - [BL] DOS vs Linux - drift from jmce

  • From: <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [BL] DOS vs Linux - drift from jmce
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 19:54:40 -0400 (EDT)

Regarding DOS vs Linux, I don't like the multiuser stuff either, but I
have discovered that Linux makes up for some of its shortcomings (like
requiring more RAM) in various ways. First, it runs the same browser
(Lynx, for instance) about 50% faster, possibly because of better memory
management. Second, it is really handy to be able to run two or more
programs at the same time (for instance two browsers, or browser and text
editor).

Lynx for DOS (version 2.8.5, a half-size version without multilingual
support, 750K) will run on a 386 with 3M RAM, at a reasonable speed. Has
anyone experimented with how little RAM Lynx requires with BL2?

Opera 6.03 worked fine for me with 16M RAM, but pentium overdrive cpu
(equivalent to a P100 or so). I don't expect things to be instant. I
never used the swap partition at all, but then I only had one website
loaded at a time. It might work (rather slowly) with 8M RAM.