baslinux - Re: [BL] DOS vs Linux - drift from jmce

  • From: Day Brown <daybrown AT hypertech.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] DOS vs Linux - drift from jmce
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 15:01:17 +0000

keesan2 AT cyberspace.org wrote:

> Regarding DOS vs Linux, I don't like the multiuser stuff either, but I
> have discovered that Linux makes up for some of its shortcomings (like
> requiring more RAM) in various ways. First, it runs the same browser
> (Lynx, for instance) about 50% faster, possibly because of better memory
> management. Second, it is really handy to be able to run two or more
> programs at the same time (for instance two browsers, or browser and text
> editor).

There is Phar Lap and other tools which can provide 32bit addressing, and
DRDOS downloads with the ability to format FAT32. BUT- I dunno that the
programming skill remains to do anything with it. Likewise, there are many
win xp servers that use MS-CHAP authorization, and there is *no* DOS PPP
driver which can handle that. So, whatever Lynx, Bobcat, Arachne, or
whatever can do is moot if the user cant get online in the first place.

Anyone know offhand if the BL setupPPP includes MS-CHAP? I've only seen it
on the latest distros of RH & MDK, didnt see the option in the SLACK PPP
setup. Still, the PPP setup can be then used by any Linux browser, whereas
trying to replace a PPP driver for Arachne or Nettamer looks meticuously
cumbersome, as inscrutable as any Linux CLI command set.