baslinux - Re: [BL] DOS vs Linux -

  • From: "Krzysztof A. Suchecki" <christopher.suchecki AT wp.pl>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] DOS vs Linux -
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 07:16:09 +0200

Day Brown wrote:

> TASKMAX w/ DRDOS 7.03 will give you three terminals. I've used one to
> compose assy with and a second to test run, which might crash the
> 'terminal', but ctrl-esc brings me right back to the other dos desktop.
> Not too bad.

DRDOS licence is not approved by FSF (Free Souftware Foundation)
as open software licence. So I'm personally not interested in such a system.
I have to use DOS also in commercial environment. So FreeDOS is my choice.
Although DRDOS is a mature product and FreeDOS is still like a school child.

[...]
> People will be *driven* back to the CLI just to reduce the clutter.

IMHO rather no, because hardware becomes more and more powerful and even
on old Celereon 400 from 1999 and 128MB RAM I can use GUI with enough speed.

> DW.EXE
Have you tried Dos Navigator?

> With drives the size they now are, there is plenty of room for both dos
> and BL on the same desktop. We dont havta vote for which is best, but use
> whichever works at the time to do what we need.

Exactly. None is best. I use FreeDOS i.e. for TeX documents as emTeX is
smaller
than teTeX; and Linux for some other tasks - especially network oriented:)

Chris

Szukasz wyjazdu wakacyjnego? Sprawdź nasze oferty!
Nowy serwis w WP http://oferty.wp.pl/wakacje.html