baslinux - Re: [BL] DOS vs Linux -

  • From: Day Brown <daybrown AT hypertech.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] DOS vs Linux -
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 18:56:03 +0000

"Krzysztof A. Suchecki" wrote:

> > People will be *driven* back to the CLI just to reduce the clutter.
>
> IMHO rather no, because hardware becomes more and more powerful and even
> on old Celereon 400 from 1999 and 128MB RAM I can use GUI with enough speed.

Oh certainly. But what do the servers *do* with that speed? send you flashy
glitz,
banner & popup spam. The bottleneck is not the motherboard/os, but the 56k
modem.
If the 56k modem didnt waste time downloading the artwork you dont care
about, the
interface would run a *lot* faster. One way people do this is by surfing in
text
mode. But if you are going to *do* that, you might just as well be running the
interface in ANSI color graphics. To be sure that mode is limited, but that's
the
whole point, it can render the sliders, buttons, & webnames you wanna click
on,
but it cant waste time on wall paper.

> > DW.EXE
> Have you tried Dos Navigator?

Never heard of it before. Just downloaded. I'll see.... kinda surprised to see
such an extensive ongoing dos project.