baslinux - Re: [BL] ftp problem

  • From: <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ftp problem
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 13:01:55 -0400 (EDT)

> > I also telnet to get my mail from a Unix-type server.
> > I suppose I could copy anything I wanted to save on my
> > home computer to my internet directory, wget, and then
> > delete it, but that seems a bit time-consuming.
>
> If you are talking about text, there are several ways to
> get text saved locally. You could try using 'script'
> (although that will probably give you lots of text that
> you don't want). Or you could use a mouse to cut/paste
> blocks of text from a remote display to a local one.

Could I use 'screen' to do this without a mouse? It has a way to copy
between screens, meaning I could telnet in one screen and copy to another
screen, I think. So far I have only tried screen with a text editor in
each screen.

> > I also ran into the problem of no ftp in BL2. The ftp
> > for Slackware 7.1 is part of a large package of things
> > I could see no use for
>
> I'm sure you'll have a use for some of them in the future.

If I do, I can install the files that I need, in the future.
What files in this package do you think are likely to be useful?

> > Perhaps Steven could post just the actual file(s) needed for ftp?
>
> I haven't tried it, but probably the only file you need
> is the ftp executable. You can extract if from the package
> like this:
> tar -zxvf /slakware/n6/tcpip1.tgz bin/ftp

I could extract it if I had the package, which means downloading 1M of
package in order to extract the one file (100K?). I decided to download
Kermit instead (having first compressed it from 2M to 700K at a friend's
server).

If you post a copy of that ftp file at your website, other people who need
just the ftp file can download it faster than the 1M package.

Since BL2 is supposed to be used on older computers (which often have
smaller hard drives) I don't see the point of installing a large package
when you only need one file from it. Thanks for the instructions on how
to extract that file. I will try that (at the friend's server) and check
out the ftp from Slackware.