baslinux - Re: [BL] ftp problem

  • From: <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ftp problem
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 12:03:47 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 19 May 2003 bontemps AT m-net.arbornet.org wrote:

> I am using a telnet service to get e-mail. I have been able to use "ftp"
> to download my saved-messages folder. BL has no ftp program. Is there any
> way I can download this saved-messages folder with BL?
>
> Thanks,
> PS I very much enjoy this site(basicliux). I don't know what you do Steven
> but it seems you put a LOT of effort into this and it has helped me learn
> a lot. Thanks again.

I strongly agree with paragraph two ;)

I also telnet to get my mail from a Unix-type server. I suppose I could
copy anything I wanted to save on my home computer to my internet
directory, wget, and then delete it, but that seems a bit time-consuming.

I also ran into the problem of no ftp in BL2. The ftp for Slackware 7.1
is part of a large package of things I could see no use for (I think it
included 'talk' - rather pointless on a single-user system). Perhaps
Steven could post just the actual file(s) needed for ftp?

Since I also wanted a dialer, I installed Kermit for Slackware 7.1 (2M
uncompressed file - download, rename it kermit, put into /bin, type
kermit) and it includes not only a dialer and file transfer program but
telnet and ftp. Type kermit, then telnet www.abc.org or ftp www.abc.org.
You can also configure things in .kermrc if you don't want to be
automatically logged in as 'root' : set login user. There is also some
way to define the terminal type for telnet.

The binary for Slackware 7.1 is in a very long list at:

www.columbia.edu/kermit/......

(look for C-Kermit, binaries). Steven, can you put a link to Kermit from
your site?

It was compiled specially for me by Frank (tech support) with the same
glibc6 that we are using, because all the other posted versions for
Slackware required a new library. Kermit tech support is unbelievable.

C-Kermit is the Kermit for linuxes. MS-Kermit is for DOS (including
non-MS DOSes). Kermit95 (?) for Windows. You can use it for file
transfer between computers with different operating systems via null-modem
cable.