baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 browsers

  • From: <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 browsers
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 15:12:38 -0400 (EDT)

> > > On Opera 6.03: it did crash on me yesterday. I had it going full screen
> > > and was moving the mouse around. I noted that when I would drag the
> > > cursor to the corners of the screen, some pop-up navigation buttons
> > > would
> > > appear. I was dragging the cursor around to the corners to investigate
> > > further when suddenly the browser window just vanished. Perhaps if one
> > > doesn't use the mouse, crashes of this sort can be avoided. But it does
> > > seem like a bug in 6.03.

I dragged the mouse repeatedly into all the corners of the screen in
full-screen mode (F11) and no buttons appeared. I toggled modes
repeatedly and no crashes, nothing disappeared. I could not get Opera to
crash at various sites. I did find a use for the mouse - you cannot use
the keyboard to view one image at a time (like you can with Arachne or
Lynx or Links). Use the mouse right button to get a menu. I suppose
their handicapped users just have to toggle on ALL the images if they
cannot use a mouse. I can certainly live with this much need for a mouse.

I did not notice Opera downloading images when I have images turned off,
(how would I tell?) but I did find that even with images turned off, when
I got to a link that is a jpeg it downloads and displays that image.
Makes sense, I suppose. Image download was pretty fast. My video card is
slow and draws everything to the screen slowly. It is an ISA VESA 1.2
compliant and I have PCI cards that are at least twice the speed. Perhaps
that is why Opera seems so slow.

It loaded (full-screen) in about 30 sec. I am used to lynx, which
takes a fraction of a second. Not at all bad compared to Netscape.
But this is a Pentium overdrive, equivalent to about P75, not really the
BL2 target machine but twice as fast.

Unlike Links, but like Lynx, you can type in the URL without the www. and
.com and it will fill those in for you. Like Netscape it will offer you
various choices for completing a URL once you start typing.