baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 browsers

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 browsers
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 09:23:51 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 14 May 2003 qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> I downloaded the Firebird (Phoenix) browser today
> and installed it on a fresh BL2 base. It needed
> three extra packages from Slackware. Total HD
> space used (including BL2, X, icewm, etc.) is 55mb.

I use Phoenix on my computer at the office (P90, 64MB RAM, 800MB HD)
pretty effectively. That's on a Vectorlinux install, with the 2.4.19
kernel and reiserfs. It's a bit sluggish, as Steven suggested, but could
perhaps be made to perform a bit better by using an older kernel and
ext2fs. It's flaked out on me a couple of times - don't recall at the
moment exactly how. Another nice thing about the browser is that it is
"skinnable," and there are some very light weight skins with tiny buttons.
These could perhaps help performance on older hardware as well. In any
case, I just wanted to interject that I've used Phoenix pretty effectively
on older hardware as well.

On Opera 6.03: it did crash on me yesterday. I had it going full screen
and was moving the mouse around. I noted that when I would drag the
cursor to the corners of the screen, some pop-up navigation buttons would
appear. I was dragging the cursor around to the corners to investigate
further when suddenly the browser window just vanished. Perhaps if one
doesn't use the mouse, crashes of this sort can be avoided. But it does
seem like a bug in 6.03.

James