baslinux - [BL] BL2 browsers

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] BL2 browsers
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 19:23:41 +0000

I downloaded the Firebird (Phoenix) browser today
and installed it on a fresh BL2 base. It needed
three extra packages from Slackware. Total HD
space used (including BL2, X, icewm, etc.) is 55mb.

Firebird is similar to Skipstone, but it has two
big advantages: (1) it is easier to install, and
(2) it is undergoing very active development.

Firebird is useable on my P166 (64mb RAM), but it's
a touch sluggish. The designers hope to slim it
down further, so perhaps the speed will improve.

I'll spend the next few weeks comparing Skipstone
and Firebird. A new version of Firebird is due in
a few days, so I'll probably wait for that before
making a final decision.