baslinux - Re: [BL] Debian packages and busybox

  • From: "James Miller (office)" <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Debian packages and busybox
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 11:10:58 -0500 (CDT)

I personally prefer having both pkgtool and installpkg. I think that, in
general, newbies are going to gravitate towards using pkgtool, since it is
a semi-gui app, and people generally can't have much rapport with
computers these days without a gui.

On Tue, 13 May 2003 keesan2 AT cyberspace.org wrote:

> > I thought Opera came as a self-installing
> > package (you just uncompress it and run install.sh).
>
> I think it came as a Slackware package and I just typed installpkg Opera.
> Maybe you are thinking of Ted?

I looked all over for a .tgz package for Opera on the web, and all I could
find was one at a site that was in Turkish. I decided not to download it,
since I was afarid it might be Turkish-localized. If you found a tgz
package for Opera, please post the location. This could be very useful
for BL users.

On a related note, I've discovered that I have Opera 6.03 installed here
on this P90 Vectorlinux install. It has worked fine for me on this
relatively fuller Linux/Slack installation, with no noteable problems. Do
we have any consensus so far on whether Opera 6.03 is the right browser
choice for BL2? I may try it out on my BL2 machine at home to confirm or
refute the success Sindi seems to have been having with it on her BL2
install.

James