baslinux - Re: [BL] Debian packages and busybox

  • From: <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Debian packages and busybox
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 15:46:08 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 9 May 2003 qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> keesan2 AT cyberspace.org wrote:
> >
> > But you do NOT need pkgtool to install packages
> > or remove them. You can use installpkg and removepkg.
>
> installpkg and removepkg are part of the pkgtool
> package.

I have been using them without anything from bin.tgz.

I do sometimes, for some packages, get two lines of what may be error
messages telling me it cannot find something (one of them has to do with
something .sh - I tried to report this once but probably botched the
report) but the packages install anyway. I can also uninstall them. I
uninstalled Opera 5.05 after installing 6.03 with removepkg. (Then I had
to reinstall Opera 6.03 because it removed a directory that both of them
had been using).

> > Or even tar and rm.
>
> Really? You may be able to get tar to install the
> files in the right place, but it won't run the
> installation scripts for you. And when you try to
> remove a package with rm, how do you know what files
> to delete?

They are listed in /var/log/packages.
I have been using removepkg not rm, I just pointed out that you could in
theory do it with rm instead. It would be a bit more work.

What are installation scripts and why do you need them if the files are
already installed in the right place?