baslinux - Re: [BL] Debian packages and busybox

  • From: <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Debian packages and busybox
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 14:19:06 -0400 (EDT)

I have extracted from bin.tgz:
ar
ar.1.gz
the dependency libfdd-2.9.10.25.so

I made a directory /ar and then the subdirectories in /ar

/ar/usr/bin - I put ar here
/ar/usr/lib - I put libfdd here
/ar/usr/man/man1 -I put ar.1.gz here

I then went back to /ar and typed makepkg.

It asked me whether to set sane permissions and I answered yes.

It produced 307K ar.tar.

I then tried to gzip it and discovered that there is a 0 byte
gzip in my /bin directory dated May 12. Also files of the same date and
size: grep, egrep, fgrep, ginstall, ftp. Where might these have come
from?

Perhaps my grep.tgz and gzip.tgz downloads had the same problems as
bin.tgz and I simply have not noticed until now, not having used these
programs, but why today's date?

So I went into busyboxy directory and gzipped from there and got
143K ar.tar.gz which I have posted at

www.usol.com/~keesan/ar.tar.gz

I probably should have renamed to .tgz.

I have not tried installing this as I already have ar 'installed'.
Would anyone else be willing to test whether I got this right and whether
the package actually installs and works?

This could be helpful to people who want to use a precompiled binary that
they can find only as a Debian package.

If this worked I could do something similar for a select group of files
from bin.tgz.