baslinux - Re: [BL] Debian packages and busybox

  • From: <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Debian packages and busybox
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 18:31:46 -0400 (EDT)

> > I can do that faster with installpkg.
>
> I doubt that.

Every time I have tried to use pkgtool I get mixed up and have trouble
exiting. Also I cannot read the name of the file that is highlighted so I
have to keep arrowing up and down and back to where I was (the colors show
up as dark grey on black on my mono monitor). I find it much quicker to
type the filenames. I put them all in the same /tgz directory.

> > > I thought Opera came as a self-installing
> > > package (you just uncompress it and run install.sh).
> >
> > I think it came as a Slackware package and I just typed
> > installpkg Opera. Maybe you are thinking of Ted?
>
> Definitely not Ted.
>
> > http://arc.opera.com/pub/opera/linux/603/final/en/qt_static/
> > opera-6.03-20020813.1-static-qt.i386.tar.gz
> >
> > It installs itself into a directory named the same as the
> > file minus .tar.gz.

I am pretty sure I used installpkg. I am sure I did not do it your way.
I installed 5.05, then 6.03, then used removpkg to remove 5.05, then
reinstalled 6.03 because removepkg removed some shared files (I think
these are in an opera directory different from the directory with the
very long name), and everything works perfectly. (Albeit slowly).

So installpkg appears to have uncompressed opera for me and run
install.sh, as usual. It took a while. You can try doing this yourself.