baslinux - Re: [BL] Debian packages and busybox

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Debian packages and busybox
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 11:35:52 +0000

keesan2 AT cyberspace.org wrote:

> > installpkg and removepkg are part of the pkgtool
> > package.
>
> I have been using them without anything from bin.tgz.
> I do sometimes, for some packages, get two lines of what
> may be error messages telling me it cannot find something

That is precisely what happens from running pkgtool
without installing the bin package.

> but the packages install anyway.

As mentioned previously, some Slackware packages contain
installation scripts, which do various things to enable
the package to function correctly. So, even though the
files end up in the right place, a botched installation
script can cause a problem.

> I uninstalled Opera 5.05 after installing 6.03 with
> removepkg.

The Opera file you are installing (from Debian) is not
a Slackware package. pkgtool is for Slackware packages.
There is no guarantee that pkgtool will install non-
Slackware packages correctly.

> > You may be able to get tar to install the
> > files in the right place, but
> > when you try to remove a package with rm,
> > how do you know what files to delete?
>
> They are listed in /var/log/packages.

tar does not do that. pkgtool is creating those lists.

> I just pointed out that you could in theory do it with
> rm instead. It would be a bit more work.

It would be a *lot* more work without the file list in
/var/log/packages.

> What are installation scripts and why do you need them
> if the files are already installed in the right place?

Installing a package may involve more than putting the
files in the right place. Settings may need to be changed.
Startup scripts may need to be modified. Links may need
to be created/destroyed.