baslinux - Re: [BL] browser for 8M RAM and hotmail

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] browser for 8M RAM and hotmail
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 23:30:37 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 13 May 2003, James Miller wrote:

> On Tue, 13 May 2003 keesan2 AT cyberspace.org wrote:
>
> > The owner of the Thinkpad 486 33MHz with 8M RAM asks if there is some
> > browser that he can use to access hotmail with this computer.
> >
> > It needs javascript - Lynx won't work.
> > I tried Links 2.1.9 - when I enter the email address it asks me to enter
> > the email address.
> >
> > He has set up browser_test AT hotmail.com
> > password cyberspace 1
> >
> > in case anyone wants to try out their favorite linux javascript browser.
> > I will try Opera 6.03 for him.
> >
> I suggest your friend try one of the mail checking programs for this, rather
> than using a browser. Special programs have been written for retrieving
> mail from the big webmail providers who do not otherwise allow pop access.
> One that I know of that works for hotmail is at
> http://linux.cudeso.be/linuxdoc/gotmail.php . Problem is that it is a Perl
> script/program. I really don't know if one needs to have all of Perl
> installed
> to use a program written in Perl, but I recall that it takes up a fair
> amount
> of disk space. Probably your friend would need to have a mail client
> configured on his computer to be able to reply and compose messages. That's
> not a problem with Pine, so long as he'll have access to an SMTP server
> for sending.

Addendum: there are some very small Perl packages at the Delilinux ftp
site I mentioned in my previous post (at
ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/delilinux/deli/d/ ). Perhaps addition of these
small packages would allow the Perl script/program to compile and run on
your friend's computer? I'm more or less guessing on this, since I'm
familiar neither with the gotmail program itself nor with Perl. But it
seems within the realm of possibilities.

James