baslinux - Re: [BL] more easy .... links 2.1.9 static

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] more easy .... links 2.1.9 static
  • Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 18:55:36 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> > When I run Links, though, I get no graphics.
> > the way I start it is to open an xterminal in Icewm
> > after I've done startx, and type "links."
>
> To get graphics, start it like this:
> --------
> links -g
> --------

I see. Interesting. Preliminary results show that it is no faster than
BrowseX or Opera on this machine. But I'll need to fiddle with it a bit
more. One question I have is why starting Links makes Icewm's color
scheme go wacko? The grey toolbar turns olive drab, for example, and the
title bars on windows become electric blue. The background at the Yahoo
site, usually white, is sort of off-pink. Do I need to calibrate it or
something?

Also: JP gave info on an IRC channel he's starting for BL/Drinou related
stuff. I seem to have lost that email. Can someone please report the
info for me again?

Thanks, James
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 13:48:28 +0000
From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org

James Miller wrote:

> One question I have is why starting Links makes Icewm's
> color scheme go wacko? The grey toolbar turns olive drab,
> for example, and the title bars on windows become electric
> blue.

I had this problem too. It relates to the number of colors
you are running in X. links2 seems to be using a lot of non-
standard colors -- this ups the number of colors used beyond
the maximum number (set in /etc/XF86Config). So, whenever
you move the mouse outside the links2 window, X swaps out
the links2 color scheme and swaps in the icewm color scheme.
This causes the insane flashing (as the color scheme suddenly
changes).

The solution is simple (if you have the hardware to display
more colors). Simply edit /etc/XF86Config and increase the
DefaultColorDepth. I went from 8 (which caused flashing )
to 16 (which didn't). Other values might work too, but
I only tried 16.

Another way to approach this (which may be necessary for
old monitors unable to display more than 256 colors) is
to edit the colors used by links2 to reduce the divergence
from the icewm color scheme.

Or you could edit the icewm color scheme to more closely
match links2. Or you could use a different wm. Or you
could use no wm at all.