baslinux - Re: [BL] more easy .... links 2.1.9 static

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] more easy .... links 2.1.9 static
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 10:56:28 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 20 Apr 2003, James Miller wrote:

When I run Links, though, I get no graphics.

----------- I run Links 2.1.9 the same way as Links 0.93 (I changed the
name of the former from links to links 219). I run it in console mode,
and it uses the configuration file that I already set up for Links 0.9.3.

What do you mean by 'get graphics'? I was able to display a jpeg with
either version of Links. I went into setup and set it to use seejpg to
view gifs and jpegs. You need to download and install both svgalib and
seejpeg packages from Slackware 7.1. I figured out how to set up for
seejpeg by looking at how Steven set up the viewer in BL1.

This version of Links (apart from being much larger partly because of all
those graphical libraries which I doubt I am even using for anything, and
the X11 library file, and the libgpm which I am also not using) works just
as fast as Links 0.93. It has the advantage of doing some javascript, and
also it did not crash at a site where links 0.93 exited with a
segmentation fault (www.mcelroytranslation.com). (Not that either version
of Links handled that site in a usable fashion - Lynx did until it ran
into javascript but the Lynx 2.8.3 compiled for Slackware 7.1 did not do
ssl. It would be lovely to have Lynx 2.8.5 compiled for Slackware 7.1.)

Is there any advantage to using Links 2 from X instead of console? (Other
than not needing to install seejpeg). If not, I would appreciate a
version of Links 2.1.9 compiled for console only (and if possible no mouse
or NLS support). But it would probably still be too large for the RAMdisk
BL2 because javascript makes things bigger.

Is it possible to use plugins with the X but not the console version?

I should learn to compile some day (not on this BL2 computer, no space).