baslinux - Re: [BL] more easy .... links 2.1.9 static

  • From: JP Piers ( drinou ) <f5nlg AT tiscali.fr>
  • To: sindi keesan <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] more easy .... links 2.1.9 static
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 17:24:29 +0000

le Mon, 21 Apr 2003 10:56:28 -0400 (EDT)
sindi keesan <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org> écrit:

Hi Sindi and the list

> On Sun, 20 Apr 2003, James Miller wrote:
>
> When I run Links, though, I get no graphics.
>
> ----------- I run Links 2.1.9 the same way as Links 0.93 (I changed the
> name of the former from links to links 219). I run it in console mode,
> and it uses the configuration file that I already set up for Links 0.9.3.
>
> What do you mean by 'get graphics'? I was able to display a jpeg with

try to lanch it with -g options you will see ... all pages are good and
graphics are online ...

> either version of Links. I went into setup and set it to use seejpg to
> view gifs and jpegs. You need to download and install both svgalib and
> seejpeg packages from Slackware 7.1. I figured out how to set up for
> seejpeg by looking at how Steven set up the viewer in BL1.

you don't need it

> This version of Links (apart from being much larger partly because of all
> those graphical libraries which I doubt I am even using for anything, and
> the X11 library file, and the libgpm which I am also not using) works just
> as fast as Links 0.93. It has the advantage of doing some javascript, and
> also it did not crash at a site where links 0.93 exited with a
> segmentation fault (www.mcelroytranslation.com). (Not that either version
> of Links handled that site in a usable fashion - Lynx did until it ran
> into javascript but the Lynx 2.8.3 compiled for Slackware 7.1 did not do
> ssl. It would be lovely to have Lynx 2.8.5 compiled for Slackware 7.1.)

I have no lynx and it is really an old "dinosaure" compare to links 2.1.9

> Is there any advantage to using Links 2 from X instead of console? (Other
> than not needing to install seejpeg). If not, I would appreciate a
> version of Links 2.1.9 compiled for console only (and if possible no mouse
> or NLS support). But it would probably still be too large for the RAMdisk
> BL2 because javascript makes things bigger.

you do not need seejpeg ...

yes it cannot be on the ramdisk or it need to compil a new kernel with larger
ramdisk support ( maybee i never do that ... ) or maybee with cramfs support

i compile only for all purpose not for specific it's not difficult to do it
your self get the D series from slackware then do in the source directory of
what you want to compil ./configure --help to seee options then make and make
install