baslinux - Re: [BL] Opera 7.10 beta, graphical browser stuff

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Opera 7.10 beta, graphical browser stuff
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 13:39:32 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:
What things can 6.11 do that 5.05 can't?

See the long list below.

Opera 6.x does Unicode and has improved keyboard support. Does any of the
rest of this look particularly useful? It has added 1M to the download.

I have noticed when using SuSE that once I dial (with wvdial) I then
cannot do anything else on the same virtual terminal, but Basiclinux lets
me dial and then run programs on the same terminal (like my DOS dialers).

Will the following work with BL2 and modem?

Using mdacon (lets you use Hercules and VGA on one computer) I have VT1
and 2 set to VGA and 3 and 4 set to Hercules. I can only load text fonts
on the VGA monitor (using setfont from kbd).

1. initx from VT1 (or could it be VT3 or VT4?) to load X on VT7
2. Load Opera from xterm (no wm needed?)
3. Dial the ISP from VT2 and load unicode font and then Lynx on VT2.
(Or load the font and Lynx first, shell from Lynx to dial).
4. Toggle between Opera (VT7) and Lynx (VT2) on the VGA monitor.

View javascript and graphics with Opera, unicode with Lynx (still have not
figured out if Lynx 2.8.3 actually does unicode). This is a way to deal
with Opera 5's lack of unicode. With luck, sites won't include but
javascript AND unicode.

I could also run Lynx (without the text fonts) on VT3 (Hercules and TTL
monitor) and be able to view the same webpage on the VGA monitor (Opera)
and the TTL monitor (Lynx).
----------------------

>From the Opera Knowledge Base (differences between 5 and 6)

What's New in Opera 6.0 for Linux

This page describes the new features in Opera 6.0 for Linux.

Contact List
Keep information about your friend and colleagues in the new
contact list. You can visit their web pages and with the use of
an external mail client, you can send an e-mail to your
contacts.

Cookies Management
With the new cookie editor you can manage your cookies.
[exclusive]

Gestures
We have now included most the mouse gestures found with the
Windows version, and added some Linux specific such as
middle-click on windowbar to open clipboard URL in new window.
[some exclusive]

Helpwindow
You can now read the help documentation in its own window with
useful buttons.

Import/Export
You can import and export bookmarks, contact lists, window
setup files and pages. [partly exclusive]

Bookmark import
Kde1/Kde2 paths and Kde2 XML Netscape/Mozilla Path [partly
exclusive]

Bookmark management
You can now easily move bookmarks around. You can drag
bookmarks to folders and the Personal bar. When you drag a
bookmark to the Opera workspace, a window or the windowbar
Opera will go to the bookmark URL.

Quick Preferences F12
Now you have quick access to some of frequently changed
preferences.

E-mail 'something'
Advanced mailto links often include subject and body. With
Opera's new and more advanced invoking of an external e-mail
client such links now work perfectly. [exclusive]

Plug-in support
The Opera plug-in support is improved. Most Netscape plugins
are supported. We've tested Macromedia Flash, Acrobat Reader,
Real Player, Java, Plugger, TCL 2.0, Codeweaver Crossover
(Apple Quicktime).
We do not supply support on setting these up, but you can read
about common issues concerning plugin installation [21]here.
You can also find FAQ searching for [22]plug-in and platform
Linux with Support Search.

[Elsewhere they note that you need libXm.so.2 to use Netscape or Java
plugins. Also you need the C++ library - how big is that?]

Tip-of-the-day
For new users we have collected smart and very useful tips.
Along with more advanced tips and tricks these are now
displayed in the new "Tip of the day" dialog.

New look
Opera has a new default button set, skin and panels. You can
change to classic Opera look or your own under Preferences >
Browser layout. Find more buttons, skins and panels at
[23]my.opera.com.

Hotclick
Double-click a word or right-click a selected phrase and
display a pop-up menu full of powerful features such as search,
encyclopedia look-up, and translation. It's all there at your
fingertips.

Personal bar
Organize and personalize your favorite bookmarks and searches
in one place.

Bookmarks
Search bookmarks or sort them by title, date created, when
visited or customize your own ordering.

Panels
Users can place their favorite Web pages in panels that are
displayed in the hotlist during their browsing session. Web
pages for panels have to be optimized to the hotlist size.
Panels are available at [24]my.opera.com.

Unicode
For the first time, Opera supports the Unicode Worldwide
Character Set, making Opera available in local languages for
the Asian/Pacific and Eastern European regions.

Improved window handling
Switch easily between document windows with the new keyboard
shortcut Ctrl+Tab.

Keyboard shortcuts
New shortcuts to speed up your surfing.

Help files
New help files, completely rewritten and improved. If you are
running Opera 6.0, press F1 to see them now.