baslinux - Re: [BL] bash basics

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] bash basics
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 12:55:04 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003, Constant Brouerius van Nidek wrote:

> For my P100 computer running BL2 I want to make a file
> which would automate an operation.
> I have looked into the man page for bash but would say that
> it was not of great help for the simple task I had in mind.
>
> I would say that I could do it more or less in Dos but I
> not (yet) in Linux.
>
> Could somebody help me ?
>
> The problem is my cdrom. It is already older and only
> functions after mounting it many many times. My friendly
> computer shop calls it warming up ;-).
> What I do right now is mounting /cdrom until it finally
> reads the cd. After the warming up period the cdrom works
> perfect for the rest of the session.
>
> In the bash file I would like to loop the mount command
> until the cdrom is working.
>

> --
>
> NTReader v0.36w(P)/Beta (Registered) in conjunction with Net-Tamer.

Nice to run across someone using Nettamer (registered).

My local computer hardware advisor (whom I just fetched from the kitchen)
asks how long you wait before mounting the cdrom drive after you power on.
Does it work in DOS on the first try?

It sounds like a mechanical problem due to the drive having been used a
lot. It might be dirt. Have you tried cleaning the lens (breathe on it
and wipe with a clean cotton swab)? Have you tried lubricating the rails?
Use a fine oil with a teflon additive from some radio supply store. A
pen-point oiler. In music CDs where the rails are not lubricated (they
are too sticky) it takes longer to position itself in order to find the
CD. We had one CD-ROM drive that had to be turned on and off several
times and eventually would find the CD. Unlubricated rails also cause
skipping. Do you have problems playing music CDs?

You should not have the drive plugged in and running when you are cleaning
it because the laser beam can destroy your eyes.

First take the drive out of the computer and remove the cover. (Write
down which screws go where if it is not obvious). You will see the lens
and the rails.

Clock and watch lubricant might also work for this.

I don't know if the original lubricant evaporates or oxidizes and
therefore gets stickier and needs to get warm to get less sticky.
People also work better when they are warmed up.