baslinux - Re: [BL] Opera 7.10 beta, graphical browser stuff

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Opera 7.10 beta, graphical browser stuff
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 08:36:06 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003, sindi keesan wrote:

> Other than copying the new library files to /lib and making new links
> (with sln or maybe with RAMdisk BL2) what else would I need to change?

I don't quite understand why copying anything to /lib or symlinking would
be necessary. If this would work, it seems to me like it would be a
simple matter of doing installpkg lib-pkg.tgz. The installation routine
is supposed to put the lib files in the right places, so far as I know.
>From Steven's earlier comments, I guess you should expect that this could
well skunk your system. But if it doesn't, you might well have made a new
and shocking discovery. The new Lynx sounds interesting. Please let us
know if/how this project works for you (I don't suppose you have an old HD
laying around you could hook up as a slave on your system, throw a quick
and dirty BL on, and do your experimental library upgrade there? That's
what I'd do, but I have alot of old hardware laying around and
generally enjoy taking things apart and putting them back together).

James
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 05:51:31 +0000
From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: Re: [BL] library upgrade

sindi keesan wrote:

> Slackware 7.1 glibc6 2.1.3 - 776K
> Slackware 8.1 glibc-solibs-2.2.5 1,273K (nearly double)
> Slackware 9.0 glibc-solibs-2.3.1 1,018K (smaller!!!!)
>
> Why is the later library smaller than the earlier one?

I haven't looked at it, but it's possible that some bits
have been moved to a separate package. glibc2 is not
just a single library, lots of other stuff goes with it.
However, if it turns out that the full 2.3.1 install is
smaller than 2.2.5, that will be a positive development.