baslinux - Re: [BL] bash basics

  • From: Constant Brouerius van Nidek <constant AT indo.net.id>
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] bash basics
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 02:00:28 +0700

>On Thu, 17 Apr 2003, Constant Brouerius van Nidek wrote:

>> For my P100 computer running BL2 I want to make a file
>> which would automate an operation.
>>
>> NTReader v0.36w(P)/Beta (Registered) in conjunction
>with Net-Tamer.

>Nice to run across someone using Nettamer (registered).

Still my favorite emailprogram, fast and simple and in daily use ;-)

>My local computer hardware advisor (whom I just fetched
>from the kitchen)
>asks how long you wait before mounting the cdrom drive
>after you power on.
>Does it work in DOS on the first try?

>It sounds like a mechanical problem due to the drive
>having been used a
>lot. It might be dirt. Have you tried cleaning the lens
>(breathe on it
>and wipe with a clean cotton swab)? Have you tried
>lubricating the rails?
>Use a fine oil with a teflon additive from some radio
>supply store. A
>pen-point oiler. In music CDs where the rails are not
>lubricated (they
>are too sticky) it takes longer to position itself in
>order to find the
>CD. We had one CD-ROM drive that had to be turned on and
>off several
>times and eventually would find the CD. Unlubricated
>rails also cause
>skipping. Do you have problems playing music CDs?

>You should not have the drive plugged in and running when
>you are cleaning
>it because the laser beam can destroy your eyes.

>First take the drive out of the computer and remove the
>cover. (Write
>down which screws go where if it is not obvious). You
>will see the lens
>and the rails.

>Clock and watch lubricant might also work for this.

>I don't know if the original lubricant evaporates or
>oxidizes and
>therefore gets stickier and needs to get warm to get less
>sticky.
>People also work better when they are warmed up.

It takes up 10 minutes and depends on how often I mount the
cdrom ;-)
Well, I did not clean it up myself but let it do.
They did when I was there. The lens was cleaned, the parts
where slightly lubricated and they srewed ;-) around with an
adjusting srew on the lens fitting. In Dos I have the same
startup problems but if I do not let the cdrom cool of I can
start the cdrom without a hitch.
I can live with the problem, would only like to automate the
10 minutes mounting/ warming up.

--

NTReader v0.36w(P)/Beta (Registered) in conjunction with Net-Tamer.