baslinux - Re: [BL] Opera 7.10 beta, graphical browser stuff

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Opera 7.10 beta, graphical browser stuff
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 12:38:07 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> sindi keesan wrote:
> >
> > Does Linux Opera work without a mouse (unlike Linux Netscape)?
>
> I used my mouse. However, I did notice that hitting keys
> seemed to do things.

Can you access the main menu at page top? In Linux Netscape 4 none of the
letters are underlined, so Alt-F does not get to File. If you use the
mouse to get to File, you still cannot arrow down to menu items.

> > Are there any noticeable differences from the Win95 version?
>
> I've never used the Win95 version.
The Win95 version is smaller than the Linux version - 3.2M (non-Java).

> > Where do they hide 5.05?

> http://arc.opera.com/pub/opera/linux/505/

I found it, along with 5.0 6.0 6.1 6.1 6.3 and 6.10.

5.05 is 2.9M static (tp1)

6.00 comes in two varieties - tpi (3.9M) and final (4.6M)
Later versions come only in final (6.03 - 4.7M)

What are tp1 and final?

Would it be worth trying 6.0-6.3 to see if there is the same crashing
problem as with 6.11?

>From the Opera FAQ:

Opera crashes

Platform: All Windows versions

[I did not find anything for the Linux versions]

When a program crashes (suddenly shuts down), this is usually caused
by bugs in the software. It can also be caused by conflicts between
programs and even bad/buggy drivers or hardware.

[Steven, have you tried Opera 6.11 on just one computer? Could it be a
hardware-related problem?]

If Opera crashes and you would like to contact us about it, please
remember to gather as much information as possible:
* Can you reproduce the crash?
* Do you experience general instability with your system?
* If you are using Windows 9x/Me .....................

If the crash occurs in a file which has to do with your graphics card,
you should upgrade your drivers.

"GDI.EXE" errors are also related to graphics, and can generally be
fixed by setting hardware acceleration a but lower (try below 50%
first). This is usually done in the Control panel in Windows, under
System, and then Advanced/Graphics.

It is important that you also include the version number, and
preferrably the build number. See Help > About Opera.

It is also possible that other users have experienced the same
problems and may have a solution. You can communicate with other Opera
users in several ways:

[25]www.opera.com/communicate

Opera's [26]newsgroups are a good place to go for information and
help. There are many active users who both share ideas and help each
other with problems. The news server address is:

[27]news.opera.com

[Is it worth asking other users about the Slackware 7.1 incompatibility
with Opera 6.11?]

I did some more poking around the FAQ, looking for differences between
versions. Some bad news (for me, anyway), is that Opera 6 was the first
version to support Unicode. Netscape 4 does not do Unicode either. Lynx
(and maybe Links?) does Unicode. I am not sure if Lynx 2.8.3 (for
Slackware 7.1) does Unicode - 2.8.4 (glibc6 2.2.5) does. Their workaround
for Opera 5 might be more work than upgrading the library (which would
also let me use the newer version of Lynx). Especially since it would
need to be translated from Windows to Linux.

Perhaps the bug in Opera 6.11 is not found in 6.0. I have a friend with a
DSL line and can download and try several versions. Would I want the tp1
or the final version of 6.0?

>From the FAQ:
Unicode support in Opera

Platform: All platforms

Unicode is the technology needed to automatically switch between and
show some character sets for languages such as Russian, Polish, Greek,
Hebrew, Japanese, and Chinese.

For Unicode support, you need Opera 6 or newer (or Opera 5.2 for QNX).

If your system does not have the proper fonts installed already,
installing a Unicode font will allow you to view pages in your
language of choice by downloading Unicode fonts:
* [24]Unicode fonts for Windows computers

INFORMATION FOR OPERA 5 (and older) USERS

Opera 5 (and older) does not support Unicode.

You can, however, use older versions of Opera to view some of these
characters sets in this manner:
* Under File > Preferences > Documents, select a Font that will
support the language which you want to view.
* Make this selection for each type of text listed in the "User
fonts and colors" selection area (if you want all the type sizes
on the page to be in the same encoding).
* Make sure to select the proper "Script" setting in the lower right
corner of the "Font" dialog box. For example, some web pages are
written using Cyrillic CP1251, and some are written using
KOI8-R... so you will need a compatible font for each of these
encodings to view Russian web pages. And you will have to manually
change Opera's Fonts under "Documents" every time you come across
a page with a different encoding.

[Does the Linux version of Opera 5.05 actually have these settings?]

Alternately, since changing all of the text types is a big chore, you
can create additional .INI files for Opera, and save them under
different names. Then create shortcuts to the Opera program that point
to your new .INI settings files, so that when you open Opera, Opera
uses these chosen settings. To do so, follow the instructions below:
* Open Opera, go to File > Preferences > Documents. In the "User
fonts and colors" selection area, set all the Font choices to
enable the language of you choice. Click "OK".
* Then, make a copy of the file named "OPERA.INI" and save it under
another name, for example "RUSSIAN.INI" ("OPERA.INI" will be found
in your Opera directory. You can use Windows Explorer or File
Manager to find "OPERA.INI").
* Now, create a new shortcut to Opera on the desktop or in the Start
menu. Make sure that the file path to the executable program (also
called the command line) is enclosed in quotes, and add the file
path to your new .INI file to the end of the Command line. For
example: C:\Program Files\Opera\Opera.exe C:\windows\Russian.ini

There will still only be one Opera program on your computer... It will
simply have different settings when you start it with the alternative
shortcuts.