baslinux - Re: [BL] Opera 7.10 beta, graphical browser stuff

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Opera 7.10 beta, graphical browser stuff
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 12:34:24 -0400 (EDT)

> > Is it "add supported"?

>From the Opera Forum discussion 'Opera 6.1 crashes' it is clearly ad
supported. Several people had crashes whenever a certain ad appeared.
But many people also had crashes with the registered ad-free version.

> Add to this the fact that when images are turned off, 5.05
> still downloads all the images (it just doesn't display them).
> What's the point?

Does 6.11 also download all the images without displaying them? I agree
that this 'feature' is pretty idiotic for 5.05 but if 6.11 does not
download the images it seems worth checking whether 6.0-6.3 also crash. I
think JP said he had tried one or more of them with Slackware 7.1.

The only point I can imagine is they probably think you want to see more
text on the page temporarily but really want to see the pretty pictures
eventually. Unlike Netscape, Opera compresses the text instead of leaving
big blank spots for the images when you turn off images.

> I'm not very happy about how this is going. All these
> browsers (links2, browseX, dillo, two versions of Opera)
> are taking valuable space on my HD (I now have just 6mb

Can you save them to floppy disk (split into smaller files)?
Or to a spare hard drive that you temporarily plug into the computer?
Sindi Keesan