b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Tense

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Rolf" <rolf.furuli AT sf-nett.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Tense
  • Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 07:39:58 +0100

Dear Jerry,

A test similar to the one you mention has been made in my Akkadian classes,
or more correctly, I systematically watched and noticed how my students
worked. In Akkadian we find the preterite "tense" and the present "tense."
Preterite verbs often have past reference and present verbs often have
present or future reference. But both conjugations can be used with past,
present and future reference; therefore I put "tense" in quotation marks.

In Akkadian texts, often it is not easy at first glance to see if the verb is
preterite or present. What I noticed as a general rule, was that when the
students prepared a text for the next lecture, they did not analyze each verb
form, but they relied on the lexical meaning of the verb and its context. So,
when a student translated a text in a past setting, the student would
translate both preterit and present verbs with simple past in Norwegian.
So,the context counted much more than the verb forms. The work of students,
therefore, do not tell us what the meanings of the conjugations in a dead
language really are.

If I saw the form וַיֹּ֙אמֶר without a context, I would think that most
likely it occurs in a past context; but it could also occur in a present or
future context.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
Stavern
Norway

Torsdag 13. Desember 2012 20:11 CET skrev Jerry Shepherd