b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Tense

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Rolf" <rolf.furuli AT sf-nett.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Tense
  • Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 14:28:20 +0100

Dear Chavoux,

See my comments below.

Mandag 17. Desember 2012 12:31 CET skrev Chavoux Luyt <chavoux AT gmail.com>:

> Shalom Rolf

My basic point is that the WAYYIQTOL is a YIQTOL with prefixed WAW. A
narrative is a description of a sequence of events. It has past reference and
needs not start with a QATAL. Most WAYYIQTOLs occur in narratives, and the
verbs carrying the action forward in a narrative have past reference. The
problem is that the clauses in a narrative with WAYYIQTOLs are not
transparent. This means that we see the past reference (their outside nature)
, but we cannot know whether the past reference is pragmatic or semantic (the
inside nature). We cannot know whether the WAYYIQTOL represents
grammaticalized past tense or the perfective aspect and the past reference
therefore is semantic; or whether the past reference is caused by the
narrative itself and the form is imperfective.

The situation is similar in more than 90 percent of the clauses of Classical
Hebrew; we can see the temporal reference, but we cannot know at the outset
know what causes this temporal reference, if particular verb forms have an
intrinsic past or future reference or not. In order to find the meaning of
the conjugations we must analyze clauses that are more transparent than the
narrative clauses.

While we cannot know the real nature of the narrative WAYYIQTOLs, we can
learn much from a study of the use of YIQTOLs with past reference. Of the
1,027 YIQTOLs with past reference I discuss in my dissertation, 896 have one
or more words preceding. In the Classical Hebrew writings we find and
excessive use of the conjunction WAW ("and") (compared with moderns styles).
I argue that in terse narrative style, the rule is that the WAW (in the form
of WAY-) is prefixed to the YIQTOL verbs (=WAYYIQTOLs). But when the author
finds it necessary to place one or more words before the verb, the WAY-
element cannot be prefixed, and the result was a YIQTOL. Because this
happens so often, not only in connection with the negative L), but with many
other particles and words as well, we have a good case in favor of the
narrative WAYYIQTOL verb is a YIQTOL with a prefixed WAW. If the preceding
elements were removed, in accordance with the rule, the YIQTOL would become a
WAYYITOL,

Students are taught that when YIQTOLs are used with past reference, they
normally represent what is called "durative past." An interesting test when
YIQTOLs occurr in a past setting and the action is interpreted as continuing
or iterative, would be to ask whether this kind of action can be
demonstrated by the context, or whethter the interpretation solely is based
on theory. Proverbs 31 was recently mentioned, and a good question would be:
How can we know that the YIQTOLs in this chapter signal "durative past" but
the WAYYIQTOLs do not have this force?

As mentioned, most clauses with WAYYIQTOLs are not transparent, but some are.
In my disertation I give examples of WAYYIQTOLs with present and future
reference, and WAYYIQTOLs having different kinds of imperfective
characteristics. So, it important to analyze clauses where the real nature of
the verbs are visible.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
Stavern