b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Tense

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Chavoux Luyt <chavoux AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Tense
  • Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 13:31:17 +0200

Shalom Rolf

<snip>
> RF: Regardless of our view of the Classical Hebrew verbal system we must
> study the text that we have. There are many orthographical variations, but
> if we accept the dates given in the different books; thus accepting that
> the text was written down over a period of several hundred years, the text
> is remarkably uniform. If we take bad grammar into consideration, each
> scholar must, when he detects a clause that contradicts a particular view,
> ask whether this may be caused by bad grammar. We can illustrate the
> situation by looking at some of the examples above and the use of the
> negation L(.
>
> Judges 6:4 tells us three things, which are connected wit WAW (and): And
> they camped (WAYYIQTOL), and they destroyed (WAYYIQTOL), and they did not
> let anything remain (YIQTOL). The reason for the use of YIQTOL is that the
> verb is preceded by WAY+negation. if the negation was removed, the WAW
> would have been prefixed to the YIQTOL and would probably have been pointed
> as a WAYYIQTOL.
>
> Daniel 12:8 tells us three thing which are connected with WAW (and): And I
> heard (QATAL), and I did not understand (WAW+ negation+ YIQTOL), and I said
> (WAYYIQTOL with paragogic he). The explanation is the same; if the negation
> was removed, the WAW would have been prefixed to the YIQTOL and would
> probably have been pointed as a WAYYIQTOL.
>
> 2 Samuel 22:38-39 tells us seven things which are connected wit WAW (and):
> And I pursued (YIQOL), and I destroyed (WAYYIQTOL), and I did not turn
> (WAW+negation+YIQTOL) and I finished (WAYYIQTOL), and I crushed
> (WAYYIQTOL), and they could not rise (WAW+NEGATION+YIQTOL), and they fell
> (WAYYIQTOL). here we have the same situation as in the two other examples.
> Note also the clause-initial YIQTOL.
>
> 2 Samuel 2:28 and 1 Samuel 1:13 follow the same pattern. Can the use of the
> YQTOLs in these cases be caused by bad grammar? I see no reason for that,
> because the same pattern is followed in all the examples, and it is a
> logical pattern. There is no temporal differences between the WAYYIQTOLs
> and the YIQTOLs, and why should there be any aspectual diffrence? The
> YIQTOLs rather than WAYYIQTOLs are used for syntactical (pragmatic)
> reasons, because they are preceded by a negation that prevents the WAW to
> be prefixed to the verb.
>

> Best regards,
>

> Rolf Furuli
> Stavern
> Norway
Thanks Rolf, I think I understand you better now. Do I understand you
correctly, that in _narrative_ (i.e. typically starting with QATAL and
then continuing with WAYIQTOLS) when there are "inbetween" words, like
LO, the WAYIQTOL changes to a W'"inbetween word" YIQTOL, with
basically the same meaning as "WAYIQTOL" (but _not_ the same meaning
as YIQTOL without waw - possibly followed with WAQATAL)?

Regards
Chavoux Luyt