b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Tense

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Donald Vance <donaldrvance AT mac.com>
  • Cc: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Tense
  • Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 08:54:34 -0800

Vance:

On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 5:47 AM, Donald Vance <donaldrvance AT mac.com> wrote:
Karl's non-answer aside,

My non-answer? Are not leading questions a more effective way to communicate and debate than simple statements?

we would, of course, assign a past time sphere, to use the question's terminology, and we would do so because the wayyiqtol pattern preserves or retains an old perfective form. The introduction to Leviticus makes this clear.

What old perfective form? Where does that come from? If it’s from the mythological proto-Semitic, why should we accept it as evidence?

Or is the Wayyiqtol introduction a sign that the following is a narrative? Did you look at the introductions to all the narrative books? Didn’t you notice that except for Genesis and 1 Chronicles, both which start at the very beginning, all but a couple of the narratives, including a couple of the prophets who told their stories as narratives (Jonah, Ezekiel), start with Wayyiqtols? So rather than being a sign of the perfective, wouldn’t this be merely a sign of narrative, continuation?

Sent from my iPad
Donald R. Vance
dvance@oru.edu

Going back to the question that started this thread, don’t the number of cases where the Wayyiqtol is found in non-past contexts make it impossible to say whether or not a single Wayyiqtol standing alone refers to a past event apart from a context that indicates past tense?

Karl W. Randolph.