b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Tense

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Dr. Frank Matheus" <post AT matheus.de>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Tense
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 10:26:27 -0800

Frank:

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 9:16 AM, Dr. Frank Matheus <post AT matheus.de> wrote:

Dear list,

if we perceived a text comprising only of one word, e.g. וַיֹּ֙אמֶר , to which time sphere would we sort the proposition, and why would we do so?

We would not know because this is not a grammaticalization for any time sphere. It could be present, it could be future, without further context, there’s no way to tell.

Frank