b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Tense

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Rolf" <rolf.furuli AT sf-nett.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Tense
  • Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2012 18:00:23 +0100

Dear Frank,

I will read your book, and you should read my dissertation, because it is
good for a lecturer to be aware of the different scholarly approaches to the
Hebrew verbal system that exists. Many list members do not read German, so I
will make some comments before I have read your book. Now I understand a
little more of your model, but not all of it. It reminds me somewhat of the
"Textlinguistik" of Harald Weinrich (Tempus: Besprochende und Erzälte Welt
(1964), but there are differences as well. It also reminds me of the
discourse linguistics of different other auhors. Both of these systems are
unassailable (admitted by Weinrich); there are no controls, because the focus
is on chunks of texts and not on words or word forms.

You have indirectly answered my question regarding aspect, that the
conjugations are not aspectual, but that aspect is connected with one or more
clauses. But you have not defined "tense."

You say:
"In this text it is very hard to believe that the finite verbal form
וַיָּבֵא֙ is not tense."

RF: If you expect the readers to understand what you write, in this case you
must define "tense." I agree that the reference is past, and why can we say
that? Because 2:19 is a part of a piece of narrative. And the verbs that
carry the action forward in narratives have by definition past reference. But
these verbs need not have past tense or have the perfective aspect; In
Phoenician, infinitive absolutes are used as narrative verbs, and they
neither are tenses nor aspects. I analyze the verse in the following way: The
setting is the creation of animals and birds, bringing them to Adam, and the
naming of these. All this must have taken some time, as you observe.

My translation of 2:19 is as follows: "YHWH God continued to form (WAYYIQTOL,
Qal) from the ground every animal and every flying creature of the heavens;
and he continued to bring (WAYYIQTOL Hifil) them to the man to see
(infinitive copnstruct) what he would call (YIQTOL, Qal) each one. And
whatever the man called (YIQTOL, Qal) it, each living soul, that was its
name."

In the first WAYYIQTOL, reference time (RT) intersects event time (ET) in the
middle; a part of ET whith continuing or iterative action is made visible.
Exactly the same intersection is seen in the second WAYYIQTOL. The first
YIQTOL is modal, and therefore does not have any intersection. The second
YIQTOL has a singular subject and object and the verb is semelfactive. So, RT
intersects ET after its end, which means that it has a resultative force; a
part of the resultant state is visible. The verse contains 4 imperfective
verbs, three having past reference (but not past tense), and one i modal.

The imperfective force of the WAYYIQTOL FORM is clearly seen in 2:21 where
one WAYYIQTOL intersects another WAYYIQTOL: "Then YHWH God caused a deep
sleep to fall (WAYYIQTOL) upon the man. And while he was sleeping
(WAYYIQTOL), he took (WAYYIQTOL) one of his ribs, and closed up (WAYYIQTOL)
the flesh over its place."

The third WAYYIQTOL expresses a state "while he was sleeping" and this state
is intersected by the next WAYYIQTOL "he took one of the man's ribs." A
parallel clause is: While John was reading the paper, Kate entered the room."
Such a sentence is used by Comrie and others to demonstrate that the English
participle FORM is imperfective.

I do not understand how we can know the nuances of a dead language if its
conjugations cannot be semantically distinguished. This is illustrated by 1),
2) and 3) below.

1) Jill reached the peak.

2) Jill had reached the peak.

3) Jill was reaching the peak.

If English was a dead language that we tried to understand, and we did not
which verb FORMS expressed aspect and which tense, we could neither
distinguish the time reference of the three clauses, neither their nuances.
If there was a context, we could possibly know whether the reference was past
or future; but not if a clause lacked a temporal context. (This is the case
in many poetic texts in the Tanakh). If semantic meaning was expressed by the
verb form, each single sentence could be understood: The verb of 1) is simple
past and therefore is a tense; the verb of 2) is pre-past, and is a
combination of past tense and the perfective aspect. The verb of 3) is a
participle, and because we know the the verb FORM participle is imperfective,
and the verb is semelfactive, the meaning is that Jill was on the point of
reaching the peak, but had not yet reached it. So, RT intersects ET
immediately before the reaching event. Even if we had a context, it would
have been impossible to know the nuances of 3) if we did not know that the
participle had a particular semantic meaning, that it was imperfective.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
Stavern
Norway