b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Tense

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Rolf" <rolf.furuli AT sf-nett.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Tense
  • Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 14:12:31 +0100

Dear Chavoux,

Se my comments below.

Søndag 16. Desember 2012 12:09 CET skrev Chavoux Luyt <chavoux AT gmail.com>:

> Hi Rolf
>
> I have just one question regarding your post...

RF: Regardless of our view of the Classical Hebrew verbal system we must
study the text that we have. There are many orthographical variations, but if
we accept the dates given in the different books; thus accepting that the
text was written down over a period of several hundred years, the text is
remarkably uniform. If we take bad grammar into consideration, each scholar
must, when he detects a clause that contradicts a particular view, ask
whether this may be caused by bad grammar. We can illustrate the situation by
looking at some of the examples above and the use of the negation L(.

Judges 6:4 tells us three things, which are connected wit WAW (and): And they
camped (WAYYIQTOL), and they destroyed (WAYYIQTOL), and they did not let
anything remain (YIQTOL). The reason for the use of YIQTOL is that the verb
is preceded by WAY+negation. if the negation was removed, the WAW would have
been prefixed to the YIQTOL and would probably have been pointed as a
WAYYIQTOL.

Daniel 12:8 tells us three thing which are connected with WAW (and): And I
heard (QATAL), and I did not understand (WAW+ negation+ YIQTOL), and I said
(WAYYIQTOL with paragogic he). The explanation is the same; if the negation
was removed, the WAW would have been prefixed to the YIQTOL and would
probably have been pointed as a WAYYIQTOL.

2 Samuel 22:38-39 tells us seven things which are connected wit WAW (and):
And I pursued (YIQOL), and I destroyed (WAYYIQTOL), and I did not turn
(WAW+negation+YIQTOL) and I finished (WAYYIQTOL), and I crushed (WAYYIQTOL),
and they could not rise (WAW+NEGATION+YIQTOL), and they fell (WAYYIQTOL).
here we have the same situation as in the two other examples. Note also the
clause-initial YIQTOL.

2 Samuel 2:28 and 1 Samuel 1:13 follow the same pattern. Can the use of the
YQTOLs in these cases be caused by bad grammar? I see no reason for that,
because the same pattern is followed in all the examples, and it is a logical
pattern. There is no temporal differences between the WAYYIQTOLs and the
YIQTOLs, and why should there be any aspectual diffrence? The YIQTOLs rather
than WAYYIQTOLs are used for syntactical (pragmatic) reasons, because they
are preceded by a negation that prevents the WAW to be prefixed to the verb.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
Stavern
Norway