b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Tense

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Jerry Shepherd <jshepherd53 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Tense
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 13:03:15 -0800

Jerry:

Your classroom test below is a good piece of humor, thanks.

“…with usage, the past tense became its primary function.” What time period are we talking about? Post-Biblical Hebrew, which, from what I read, had been transformed to a tense base language by the Mishnaic period? How does that fit Hebrew from the Biblical era?

Another question that has not been answered so far, what percentage of the Wayyiqtols in Tanakh are found in historical narratives, past tense contexts? 90%? Shouldn’t we then weight the 6.9% of non-past Wayyiqtols much more heavily when analyzing whether or not Wayyiqtol is a marker for past tense? In other words, if we give each semantic use of Wayyiqtol one vote, would the 90% of Wayyiqtols used in historical narrative get only one vote, thereby showing that merely the raw numbers give a lopsided view?

Karl W. Randolph.