b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] YHB does it exist for Biblical Hebrew?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew list <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] YHB does it exist for Biblical Hebrew?
  • Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 19:52:19 -0400

You are right, אצבע ECBA (see Ex.8:15), 'finger', for instance, is with a dot in the letter B, but this means, I think, that the reading at the time the dgeshim were introduced (possibly a millennium prior to the invention of the nikud), was ICBA or ACBA. The segol is possibly a visual compromise between a cere and a xirik, the same way the xatap-patax is a compromise between a schwa and a patax.
The same holds true, I think, also for אשכל E$KOL, 'bunch, cluster', (see Song of Songs 1:14, and also Deut. 32:32 for the plural form A$KLOT), and the אשכר E$KAR of Ps. 72:10.

Isaac Fried, Boston University