b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] YHB - gone with the wind or flushed with the water?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] YHB - gone with the wind or flushed with the water?
  • Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 19:49:56 -0700

Nir:

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 12:12 AM, Nir cohen - Prof. Mat.
<nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>wrote:

> below i suggest an etymology for YHB which to me looks much more natural
> than
> the one you suggest, at least in the hebrew context.
>
> ------------
>
> the hebrew evidence all points in one direction:

In looking just at the consonants, possible forms for a root featuring הבה
HBH and הבו HBW in the contexts in which they are found, could be from הבה
HBH as well as יהב YHB. Why should we not consider that we’re dealing with
two different roots?

> (Y)HB (verb) = give, bring, entrust an object in the hands of somebody.
> lend/hand over/pass over an object. by extension: allow, let, lend one's
> attention ("lend me your ears!") etc, also: give one's trust, entrust ones
> life with.

Where do all these meanings come from? What is the underlying action that
ties these all together?

> HB/HBH/HBW = the imperative form
>
> from which we have YHB (noun): trust, hope, fate.

At least this meaning makes sense as a derivative from the verb as you
define it.

> it is textually clear that the biblical phrase HShLK YHBK urges one to put
> ones FAITH/TRUST/FATE in the HANDS of god. not THROW at him ones body,
> rage or
> wind. the relation between the aramaic root YHB=give, hebrew imperative
> HBH/HB="let us, give us" and hebrew YHB=trust/"cherished possession one
> entrusts in the hands of..." seems to me so much more relevant and
> natural. as
> well as indirect evidence from the hebrew root HB)="bring" and B)="come".

But the word שלך $LK means “THROW down”, or as you say “THROW at”. This is
not the quiet entrusting, rather the violent throwing. This is where I have
the trouble with your theory.