b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] YHB does it exist for Biblical Hebrew?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew list <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] YHB does it exist for Biblical Hebrew?
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 07:16:30 +0200

Have you ever read or heard, Isaac, about the consonants «begadkefat»?
These usually take dagesh after shewa. This is the case of all the words
you provide in your post.
This is the so called «dagesh lene», the light dagesh: it points out to the
uttering of the consonant (hard versus soft)
Now... there are some exceptions to this rule. And so, in Pr 3::3 we find
KTBM, write them (you, male)! No dagesh in the B.
And in Dn 1:4 we find WLLMDM (no dagesh in the D) and in 2K 13:7 we find
)BDAM (he destroyed them) (no dagesh in the D)...
I do not know, here and now, the cause of this different behaviour....
Maybe someone on this list can tell and illustrate us about it...
But precedently I wrote on the «dagesh forte», the strong dagesh! Namely
the dagesh put inside consonants other than the begadkefat.

Regards

Pere Porta

--
Pere Porta