b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] two systems of dgeshim

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew list <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] two systems of dgeshim
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 11:26:28 -0400

I firmly believe that the earlier dagesh fixed the later NIQUD and not vice versa,
and that the dagesh has nothing to do with the BINYAN. In case the NIQUD contravenes
the rules (as I understand them) of the dagesh, then this means that the NAQDANIYM
overruled an older tradition in preference of their own.
For instance, the lack of dagesh in בִּכְבֹדִי BI-KBOD-IY of Ex. 29:43, suggests that the xiriq
under the B is possibly artificial. Also, וְלִכְבוֹדִי W- LI-KBOD-IY of Ish. 43:7.
Also, נִדְבַת NI-DB-AT of Deu. 16:10. Also בִגְדוֹ BI-GD- O of 2Ki 4:39.
Also, קִרְבוּ QIRB-U of Ex.6:9.

There is a dot in the letter Q of בִקֵּשׁ BIQE$ of Deu. 13:11, as expected after a xiriq,
but בִּקְשָׁה BIQ$-AH of Qoh. 7:28 is, indeed, dageshless.

Isaac Fried, Boston University