b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] dagesh in two root nouns with patah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Will Parsons <wbparsons AT alum.mit.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] dagesh in two root nouns with patah
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 16:47:36 -0800

Will:

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 3:13 PM, Will Parsons <wbparsons AT alum.mit.edu>wrote:

> > Just because it was continuous, does that mean a static,
> > unchanging transmission, or was it a living, changing transmission?
>
> Of course it wasn't static. But that doesn't mean it doesn't mirror to
> varying extents the language at previous stages of its existence
> (decreasingly
> as one goes back farther in time).

Doesn’t the mere use of the term “tradition” admit to a continuity, and not
just a point in time? Yet the MT represents a point on that continuity?

It looks as if we are both on the same page, or both looking at the same
half-full cup where I say that it is half-empty, while you say it is
half-full.

> --
> Will Parsons

The question is how far back is that tradition trustworthy? We see, for
example, that it is not accurate for the pronunciation of the name of
Jerusalem in the late second temple period. How many other changes happened?
If we go back to when Biblical Hebrew was spoken as a primary language in
its environment, would the Masoretic tradition be almost useless, or even
misleading?