b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] priest code?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] priest code?
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 17:06:48 -0800

Fred:

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 3:39 PM, fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>wrote:

> Karl:
>

> And so, imho, "na-hal" used to convey different meanings of "inheritance"
> and "stream valley" in close proximity, connects those two meanings in more
> than an incidental manner.

Not necessarily.

If English were spelled phonetically, we would have three words spelled “tu”
but which are presently spelled “to”, “too”, and “two”. Why not the same
with Hebrew? And how many of the homographs (words spelled the same way)
were not homonyms because they had different pronunciations?

> regards,
>
> fred burlingame

As for the Masoretic points, I don’t use them, and haven’t for years. They
are not canon, not original, represent a pronunciation tradition at a time a
millennium after Hebrew ceased to be spoken as the primary language of a
people, so I don’t have them on the screen when I read the text.