b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] dagesh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] dagesh
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 19:40:56 -0500

In my opinion the dagesh is a pre NIKUD mnemonic reading (or voicing) hinting device, and it, indeed, follows quite routinely a PATAX, a XIRIK, and a QUBUC, in a letter not marked by a schwa. Very little is left us from the time before the NIKUD, and what we have (like the KETER) is possibly an early unmarked text to which a NIKUD was added several hundred years after its invention.

Isaac Fried, Boston University